Have you ever done something with a group of people that you wouldn’t have done on your own? Pushed yourself beyond what is comfortable to try something new? This influence and drive stems from the impact that others have on us and a fundamental need to belong.
In the psychological concept of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, the basic need for love and belonging slides in just behind our physiological needs and the need for physical safety. Human relationships are at the core of who we are and how we develop or evolve as we navigate through life. Essentially, we are social creatures by nature and need a tribe.
Our tribe helps shape us and guide us, having great impact on our personal development. The people we surround ourselves with provide the greatest influence on our view of the world and even the standards and expectations that we uphold for ourselves. They determine what thoughts and attitudes dominate our attention and in turn impact our growth potential and probability of success.
If you surround yourself with people that constantly complain, make excuses and dwell on the negative aspects of life, then you will find yourself doing the same because negativity is contagious. It holds you back instead of pushing you forward, limiting your potential and in some cases can even be debilitating.
But attitudes in general are contagious, including joy and positivity. When you surround yourself with positive people you typically become more open to a similar mindset pushing you higher with positive energy. A positive tribe encourages you to reach your goals, empowers you to make the changes you need to succeed and motivates you to become the best version of yourself.
There is no distinction between business and personal.
“Tell me with whom you associate, and I will tell you who you are,”– Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, a German writer
Take a look at who you surround yourself with on a regular basis. Are they comfortable being comfortable, stuck in a state of mediocrity? Do they seek out the easy route or are they looking to improve, to achieve greater things and make a difference? What do you want to be? It’s a similar question that will yield a similar answer.
If you are looking for the next level of success, it may start with looking at who is around you – influencing you, guiding you. You need to identify any negative influences and people that bring toxicity into your life, then take the steps needed to limit your exposure to the negativity. This can mean taking the difficult step of letting certain relationships go, then seeking out those that are more positive and building a like-minded tribe.
It’s not about finding people that are like-minded in the sense of sharing the same opinions as you, but rather the same attitudes. Seek out people that exhibit a sense of ambition who also want to push themselves to achieve more.
But, how do you find these people?
Here are some steps to take:
- Attend events or conferences that are focused on personal and professional development where you have opportunities to feed your mind and meet others doing the same.
- Find a mentor that is already achieving the results that you want and reach out, bringing him/her/them into your tribe.
- Get involved in discussions where you can learn from the knowledge of others, such as engaging a coach or advisory board or joining a mastermind group.
People are a wealth of information that you can tap into to learn, grow, develop, and achieve more. If the people around you possess knowledge you don’t have, it can be inspiring, widening your perspective. You learn how they handle conflict, what habits have they instilled that bring success, and gain the courage to step outside your comfort zone.
The best results are the ones that you seek out intentionally.
Consider these benefits of seeking out and building a positive tribe:
- Free yourself from the influence of negative relationships that hold you back and pressure you to hide who you are or what you want.
- Gain confidence in who you are and get the support, motivation, and inspiration you need to reach higher, speaking openly about your dreams and fears without judgement.
- Stimulate your intellect and expand your knowledge, gaining a wider viewpoint and the collective knowledge of other help you overcome any obstacles that get in your way.
- Foster a better attitude that will bring you joy and help you live a life better aligned with the values of your true self.